Re: Cloned display on an external monitor with an iBook 2.2

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 04:36:31 -0500,
Branden Robinson gracefully wrote:

>> I applied it on xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk, version  2004.02.28-2
>> from people.debian.org/~daenzer.
>
>If someone could come up with a patch, or identify an XFree86 CVS
>commit that enables this, I'd be pretty motivated to put into Debian's
>XFree86 packages.
>
>I like patches I can test.  Especially for features I've been wanting
>since I bought my laptop.

Actually, this patch is quite easy to test. These are the steps :
1) First you have to get the xfree sources corresponding to your installed
xserver. For me it was at
http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid/ file :
dri-trunk-sid_2004.02.28.orig.tar.gz Then you shoud untar it and also
untar xc...tar.gz and Mesa...tar.gz that it contains

2) Apply the patch from directory xc :
patch -N -p 2 < radeon.diff

3) Modify xc/config/df/host.def so as to have MesaSrcDir pointing on the
Mesa directory you just untarred.

4) In xc, run "make Workd", but stop it (Ctrl-C) when it starts really
to compile (since this is the source of our installed xserver, we don't
have to compile all). Go into
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati
and run "make". This shoud create
ati_drv.o      atimisc_drv.o  r128_drv.o     radeon_drv.o
in  xc/exports/lib/modules/drivers/

5) Install : just copy the created .o files in your
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/    or
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules-dri-trunk/drivers/ depending on which one you
use. and replace the existing driver. (Maybe it is a good idea to keep
some backup...)

If this works, you should be able to restart  X without usefbdev. (I still
keep fbdev when I don't use an external screen because it provides a
better management of dpms, and really switch off the screen, that's
better for autonomy).

--
Cedric

"[Of course] I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous
accent, you silly king-a?!"  Monty Python and the Holy Grail