Re: /etc/power/apm fifo

> I have a /etc/power/apm fifo on my machine. What package created it?
> "dpkg -S /etc/power/apm" says:
>
>   dpkg: /etc/power/apm not found.
>
> It seems to be pmud, but I'm not sure. Is this fifo really necessary?

Yep, it's been created by pmud. And it's necessary in case your kernel
doesn't have apm emulation.

> Couldn't it be in another directory? (I don't think /etc is the right
> place -- this is for config files, isn't it?)

Historic reasons. Battery monitor scripts/plugins/whatnot expect it to be
in /etc/power.

Omit the -a option to pmud (in /etc/default/power) and you should be able
to do without the fifo.

> The main problem is that it prevents from doing a recursive grep on
> /etc (partly due to bug 198846).

find is your friend here.

	Michael