Re: kernel won't compile (2.6.4)

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 03:00:41PM -0400, r.a. wrote:
> I've downloaded kernel 2.6.4 from kernel.org and it stops compilation with
> this error:

[ snip ]

> If I "fix" it (in a very rudimentary way), it will stop in some other
> file, with another "undeclared identifier" problem.
> I'm using gcc 3.2.2 and it's a PowerBook G3 (Lombard 333) with YDL on it.
> Do I have to apply some patch to the sources before compiling?

I suspect you've just made some poor choices in your config. The old
macserial driver has been replaced by the pmac_zilog driver. You
should select the SERIAL_PMACZILOG (PowerMac z85c30 ESCC support)
option, and turn off the old macserial option. There are probably
several of these sorts of problems floating around. If there are
other drivers that don't compile, you should mention what it is.
There may be a replacement already in the source.

Someone should probably fix macserial.c, but I'm sure it's a very
low priority since the replacement is already written and available.

Just as a note, the version of the source I have has in the help
text for CONFIG_MAC_SERIAL a pointer to the new driver.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com