Re: error compiling kernel

Hi there ...

I am playing some weeks with Kernel from 2.6.3-ben2 up to 2.6.5-rc2.

My best experiances (Ibook2 500Mhz) are with 2.6.3-ben2, but there are
some issues:

- my usb-stick (/dev/sda1) is not comming up. I am not able to mount it,
  but all related modules (scsi_mod, sd_mod and sg and usb_storage like
  in 2.4) are loaded, but there is no /dev/sda1 to mount. The system
  recognizes the usb-stick, there are some relatet logentries for that,

- xmms is killed from the kernel after some hours running time. I think
  the memory (phys. and swap) is running full and the kernel kills my
  xmms. I can reproduce it after some h (3-6h).

- I am using gnome with metacity and have the problem, that with
  processor-using of 100% metacity hangs and increases the load (this
  was not seen with 2.4)

- the compiler (gcc-3.3.3 is very unstable and is crashing with
  segfaults and assembly-error-messages very often).

- with kernel 2.6.4 and 5-rc2 the load is high increasing after open in
  gnome the applicationsmenu :(

Is there anyone, who seen something similiar?

		regards
					Jan