Re: Installing Debian using debian-sarge-netinst.iso (powerpc)

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 04:07:07PM +0100, Pau Rul·lan Ferragut wrote:
> Derrik Pates wrote:
>

> >>P.S. Are there any good reasons for choosing ext2 filesystems over
> >>ext3, or vice versa?
> >

> >Go with ext3. If the system crashes, or whatever, you don't have to
> >sit and wait while fsck runs on the filesystem.
> >
>    Really? I thougth ext2 was better because it doesn't write
> continuesly, so there is a battery saved.

This used to be true: the standard commit interval for ext3 is 5
seconds, which used to be hardcoded, but you can change that on recent
kernels with the commit option. I have commit=3600, for 1 hour
intervals.

I also have:

  # cat /proc/sys/vm/bdflush
  30      500     0       0       600000  600000  60      20      0

This will stop the disk from spinning up every time things like gconfd,
chrony, or galeon (or any other web browser with crash recovery) write
stuff to disk (which is often).

And:

  # cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
  1

This will cause the system to write all unflushed data to disk _once
there's a spinup_.

And I use noflushd with a one-minute spindown time.

Finally, I have put

  set swapsync=

In my ~/.vimrc, so (g)vim doesn't cause spinups when writing its
swapfiles.

This combination works very well for me. There have been no spinups
while writing this email.

--
Matijs van Zuijlen