Re: Titanium IV: XFree86.0.log: "(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled"

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 08:47, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 the mental interface of
> Wolfgang Pfeiffer told:
>
> [...]
>
> > What I didn't realise either, is that it seems one has to reboot to get
> > the new direct rendering stuff loaded to X. A simple logout/login
> > from/to X doesn't help, IIUC.
>
> A reboot isn#t needed.

It never is, unless you need a new kernel. :)

> Just reload radeon.o or restart X ;-)

The latter won't do as kernel modules don't get unloaded automatically.

As a sidenote, the original problem has been documented in
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk/README.Debian for a long time,
and it wouldn't have occurred (as confusingly) with a 2.6 kernel because
it would have refused to load the incompatible module.