Re: newbie kernel help.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 02:58:17PM -0700, Mike Van Milligan wrote:
> 	First I would like to apologize if what I am asking is stupid.
> Basically, I am a newbie with linux and I am trying to build and
> install a newer kernel than woody. Now, I would like to upgrade my
> kernel. I was wondering what I needed to do from here on out. I "just"
> have installed woody, and only "apt-got" rsync. I would like to get a
> kernel up in the 2.6 build, but I want to make sure I have the right
> materials on my computer to do so, e.g. bin-utils, dependencies, etc. I
> have visited a few websites explaining how to build and install a
> kernel (the commands), that I believe I can do, I am just asking what
> prerequisites I might need in order to have a successful build. Also, I
> would like to know where to get a 2.6 kernel with ppc patches. If
> anyone could help me I would be very very appreciative! Oh, and here is
> my system:

A woody system is not going to handle a 2.6 kernel without some manual
intervention. You really need to be using sarge or sid to get all the
pieces you will need to get a fully functioning system. You can probably
forcibly upgrade a few things from alternate sources and get it running,
but I wouldn't suggest it. There is a list of the main pieces in the
Documentation/Changes file in the kernel source. Several of the things
in the list are more along the lines of "upgrade if you have it", but
things like module-init-tools are brand new and required for most usage.

And it's not a stupid question, but it doesn't have an easy answer.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com