Re: Installing Debian using debian-sarge-netinst.iso (powerpc)

On Feb 23, 2004, at 1:45 AM, Derrik Pates wrote:

sebyte wrote:
I have partitioned my hard drive, (using Apple's Disk Utility), as follows:

As was mentioned in another reply, you shouldn't try to do the partitioning through Apple's Disk Utility. IMHO, it's terrible, not to mention it wastes big chunks of space between partitions for no discernable reason at all.

Also, I don't believe you'll be able to write to a MacOS/OpenStep UFS filesystem from Linux anyway. I think there's a way you can make a FAT32 filesystem in an Apple partition, and use that, and if possible that's probably your best bet.

And since you're installing on a laptop, why are you splitting your main filesystem into partitions? Especially "/boot, /tmp, /var, /usr, /home, etc." all on one FS? That's a very poor layout, really. Better to just go with one FS for your root, one for the exchange partition, one for OS X, the 800 KB bootstrap partition, and your swap partition. Also, after you've set up the MacOS X partition, and got it all happy, do the rest of the partition in Linux using mac-fdisk. You'll save a lot of space that way.

[...]

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net

Derrik,
You mention an exchange partition above. What does that refer to? Is it a partition for the /var mount point? I am unfamiliar with that term. I normally do my PowerBooks like this:

800K bootstrap
swap
root filesystem for Linux
mac os x partition

	I am always interested in learning more, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed