Re: PBButtonsd: Support for ambient light sensors

Hi Matthias

On Di, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:13:29 +0100, Matthias Grimm wrote:

> Some time ago there was a thread here that discussed an deamon
> supporting the ambient light sensors of recent Powerbooks. I was
> asked to implement this feature in pbbuttonsd and so did I.

Thanks a lot!
Works OK for me (pb 17" 1ghz), but to compile, i had to s#<linux/i2c-dev.h>#"i2c-dev.h"#
in module_pmac.c and copy lmsensor's i2c-dev.h to the src dir. Also, for
2.6 kernels I have an updated version of the lmu.c at

http://alex.homelinux.net/~alex/tmp/lmu.c

Its detection code is a lot less intrusive, it doesn't probe all i2c devices,
but gets its information from sysfs/procfs. The old algorithm should probably be used
as fallback when sysfs is not mounted.

> Beside your test resuls I am also interested in usabillity. How do you like
> the deamon to control the LCD backlight and the keyboard illumination?
> What have to be done under which circumstances?

It would be nice if autoadjust would be disabled when adjusting the
keyboard backlight by hand, and only enabled again after a bigger change
in the environment illumination (no light => bright etc.)

MfG,
	Alex