rivafb on 12" pbook

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting 2.6.2-rc1-ben1 to work on my 12" pbook
(pciid: 0x0179). The problem is rivafb. There seem to be several issues:
 - hardware cursor is broken, so I just use the software cursor
 - rivafb_imageblit doesn't draw into the "visible part" of the
   framebuffer, it draws right "above" it (you can see the lowest line
   of the software cursor moving on the first line of the screen).
   This only happens for the "text" case where image->depth == 1, since
   the penguin gets drawn fine.
 - using cfb_imageblit draws some characters right but messes up other,
   don't know what's wrong here, maybe missing cache flushes?
 - the machine freezes when quitting X or switching to the console
 - on bootup I'm seeing:

    IN from bad port 3cc at c0133c70
    IN from bad port 3d5 at c0133c38
    Feb  2 16:33:05 bogon last message repeated 24 times
    IN from bad port 3da at c0133c1c
    IN from bad port 3da at c0133be0
    IN from bad port 3c1 at c0133bb0
    IN from bad port 3da at c0133be0
    IN from bad port 3c1 at c0133bb0
    IN from bad port 3da at c0133be0
    IN from bad port 3c1 at c0133bb0
    IN from bad port 3da at c0133be0
    IN from bad port 3c1 at c0133bb0
    IN from bad port 3da at c0133be0
    IN from bad port 3c1 at c0133bb0
    IN from bad port 3da at c0133be0

In the kernel logs which are I/O accesses from within riva_save_state
(which is called from riva_fb_open), which seem to fail. Could this
explain the crashes on the X->console switches since riva_restore_state
dumps out bogus values?
Can anybody report a running rivafb on either ppc or i386? If so which
PCIIds are working?
Any ideas welcome?
 -- Guido