Re: [ballen@gravity.phys.uwm.edu: Re: Re: HDD failing? :'( (fwd)]

Hi!

This is the email to close the thread for my HDD failure.

I went to an Apple Store, and they found the disk OK :-/ I explained
that it was having trouble getting over the SMART test and judging by
the face of the guy, it was all new to him. Nevertheless, he offered me
the possibility of sending it to Holland, to see if those guys there
made different tests of something.

Appart from the HDD, the screen was begining to mess up to :-/ Mos of
the time, it would boot ok but under X, the colors would be all messed
up and flickering a lot, no matter what resolution or color depth I
used.

It came back from Holland with a new HDD, AND a new display :)))

So, I have a brand new laptop. After a whole year of useage :-D IsnŽt it
nice?

OTOH, I have been _reaaaally_ lucky. And I wonder, how on earth can a
brand new Titanium Powerbook break so much in a year!! I mean, my
previous laptop, a Toshiba Satellite Pro 480CDT, is still working
flawlesly with me! And it survived 2 years in Africa with me! Working
non-stop as my desktop! AppleŽs Hardware is sooo expensive, that they
should definelty be more careful with what they put into a machine, or
whatever.

Anyways, a BIG THANK YOU to all of the people who helped me... cos,
being me, I would have waited past the warranty aaand the thing would
have ended in a big mess, having to pay for a new HDD.

My 2 cents! :)

--
J. Javier Maestro
<jjmaestro@computer.org>