Re: sound on Lombard G3 [playing music cd's]

Hello Derrik,

On 27.01.2004, at 15:38, Derrik Pates wrote:

nico dreher wrote:
I am struggling with sound on a Lombard G3 running Debian unstable and kernel 2.4.23-pre5-ben.
In order to hear sound, I need to do after every restart:
cat /vmlinux > /dev/dsp
Is there a solution to this?

You mean, terminal noises? Maybe add 'dmasound_pmac' to the list in /etc/modules, so that it'll be loaded automatically on startup.
-Yes. I added 'dmasound_pmac'. Can't hear any terminal noises though.

PROBLEM: cannot play music cd's
Xmms version 1.2.8 is installed but fails to play music cd's.
Alsaplayer version 0.99.75 is installed but won't even start up (returning error: "Invalid config file").

xmms can play it, but you'll need to install the 'xmms-cdread' package, and (recommended) go into the xmms Preferences window, and disable the "CD Audio Player" plugin. Then use the file selector to select the CD-ROM device (/dev/cdrom or whatever), and if you have an audio CD in the drive, you should now be able to hear it.
Successfully installed 'xmms-cdread'. However I have encountered the following problems:

If 'CD Audio Player' is disabled, no files appear in the /cdrom directory. If 'CD Audio Player' is enabled, I can select tracks through the file selector. They are played but without any sound. Now after installing 'xmms-cdread' I can't even play local mp3's anymore (this used to work).

The problem is, on most NewWorld machines (particularly PowerBooks/iBooks and iMacs), there is no connection between the CD-ROM drive and the audio board for Red Book audio, so you have to use a player that reads the digital audio off the CD, and plays it back the conventional way.
- Erm, can't follow: What software am I supposed to use?!?

What would you recommend?

Greetings,
nico
--