Re: Kernel Quest, need pointers to a HOWTO for patching

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:26:22PM +0100, christian funk wrote:
> >Also, i would be interested in the reasons for you doing a custom
> >kernel, and why the prebuilt one is not ok for you.
>
> First I should say, that I'm very new to Debian (and Linux) so please
> feel free tell me, if I'm going in the completely wrong direction ;)
>
> My goal is to set up a bridge firewall on an oldworld. From what I've
> read I need - at the very least - a 2.4.18 kernel with the
> bridge-nf-0.0.7 patch. I have absolutely no clue which kernel and patch
> would be the best or even just better than   the above combination.
> There are newer versions, but I can't figure out if I should use them,
> or how to do it correctly without using dselect and following the
> suggestions in the Debian Installation guide.  I hope reading the
> make-kpka docs will get me going though.
>
> >>3) I need to apply a second patch
> >>(bridge-nf-0.0.7-against-2.4.18.diff). This worked fine the first time
> >>it tried, but that was to the unpatched source I got via dselect. Is
> >>there an specific order I need to patch in, e.g. ppc patch first
> >>bridge
> >>patch second?
> >
> >Might be problematic. But please use a bit more modern packages.
>
> I'd love too! I was worried, that what dselect offers me is the last
> stable version, and that using anything above that is just asking for
> trouble. Not so?

Well, it usually is, but in this case, not. The only reason we still
have 2.4.18 and not the 2.4.22 in stable is simply because stable is
immuable, version-wise.

But the 2.4.22 is more actively maintained, i only touch the 2.4.18
kernel for security updates and such.

So, use the 2.4.22 kernels, they should work just fine for you.

> If I understand you correctly now, I should generally use the newest
> kernel and patch, and Debian will be able to handle them if I use the
> make-kpka pakage?!? If not, how can I figure out the boarder between
> "good to use" and "not good to use"

make-kpkg should be able to generate a kernel from any random kernel
tree. Just call :

make-kpkg --revision 1 --append-to-version -mykernel kernel-image, and
it should work out just fine.

Friendly,

Sven Luther