Re: java - is there any?

Hi Derrick,

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 05:22:18PM +0100, Dalibor Topic wrote:
| Hi Derrick,
| | Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| >downloads let alone linux.  For work I can't rely on gij or kaffe -
| >they aren't nearly complete enough (yet?).
| | What specifically are you missing?

The last time I checked, either or both of them weren't up to Java 2,
so Collections, for one thing, was missing.  They also had issues with
incompleteness or maybe even total lack of Swing.  Both of those are
essential, and I couldn't get any further with those JVMs without
those features.  That was a while back, so maybe those particular
issues that I (vaguely) remember have been solved by this point.

Collections should be working fine with the latest kaffe release, 1.1.3 It uses the code from GNU Classpath, which is also used by gij, so I'd assume gij should work equally well in thet respect. See [1] for current API coverage in (some) free runtimes.

Swing, otoh, is a different story. It's a very large API, so it takes a lot of effort to implement it. There is some progress on the Swing implementation in GNU Classpath, but they could use more developers who consider those features to be essential enough to devote some time to implementing them ;)

As any free software project, kaffe goes where the interest of the developers and its user community takes it [2]. So if you miss a certain feature, you're heartily welcome to work with other free java runtime developers to implement it.

Oh, before I forget to mention it, it's fun, too ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://japi.sab39.org/
[2] For example, I recently looked around for a wiki in java that I could run on kaffe, and ended up making JSPWiki work on Tomcat4 on kaffe. See [3] for details.
[3] http://www.jspwiki.org/Wiki.jsp?page=JSPWikiJDKCompatibility