Re: Install debian RS/6000 44P Model 170

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:13:24AM -0500, Benjamin Alvarado wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> How I can boot a RS/600 44P Model 170?, because I read many howto's for
> install debian
> in a RS/600, but just I can boot from the floppy or by netboot,
> I don't know if my boot image are wrong o what happen, and I don't know
> if this machine
> is a CHRP or PreP, if is a server or a workstation, this is a friend's
> computer, and a try to
> install debian in this machine, because a need use the LTSP (Linux
> Terminal Server Project),
> an I don't if I can use LTSP in AIX, and for my, a like much more
> debian :) .
>
> Somebody have experience installing debian in a RS/6000 44P Model 170?

Are you interested in beta testing a debian-installer image i just made ?

It may have a few problems still (in particular, i doubt the kernel will
install well), but i am actively working on getting this fixed, and it
will be solved in a matter of days.

Anyway, i would be very interested in you giving it a try, and reporting
back to me things that may not work.

If you are interested, please try the kernel i make available at :

http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i.

There will be a prep, chrp and chrp-rs6k kernel there, and i think you
need the chrp-rs6k version.

Just move it to the disk or wherever, and boot it with the devfs=mount
kernel option.

Well, the kernels will be there in 5 minutes or so, once i finish
uploading them.

Friendly,

Sven Luther