Problems with 2.6.x

I have been having lots of difficulty trying to move from benh-2.4.23 to 2.6

I have tried compiling from the kernel.org source as well as with the benh 2.5-2.6 source.

In all cases, the kernel will compile using the make-kpkg command, installation works normally as well. However on boot the following screen is displayed

Welcome to Linux, kernel 2..6.1-ben1
Linked at : 0c0000000
frame buffer at : 0x9c008000 (phys), 0xd0008000 (log)
klimit 0xc03c0b0c
MSR 0x00003030
hido 0xB410c0bc

pmac_init(): exit
id mach() done
MMU: enter
MMU:hw init
hash enter
hash:find piece
hash:patch
hash:done
MMUmapin
MMU:setio
MMU:exit
xmon uses modem port
setup_arch:enter
setup_arch bootmem
arch: exit
openpic:enter
openpic:timer
openpic:external
openpic: exit

No other actions occur. After several minutes the machine will automatically reboot. I have tried everything I can think off with no success. Does any one have any ideas?

Machine:
Power Mac g4 windtunnel rev 2.
1.2 Ghz DP (SMP disabled in config)

If needed I can upload my kernel compile config. I used the standard settings with the exception of enabling bluetooth. (required for my work)

Help!

Alex