Re: Need help with debian install and xfree config

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 07:28:35PM +0100, RABARISOA Jaonary wrote:
> Hi all,
> I want to install debian on my powerbook. I have the new powerbook alu
> 15'' with an ATI video card. I've alredy done the installation but I
> can't run the Xserver. I've used the lastest sarge debian installer
> with the kernel 2.4.20 and xfree 4.2 in it. I saw in the mailing
> list that I probably have to install a newer version of Xfree and the
> kernel but I just don't know how to do :-( . I'm a newbe yet. So if any
> one can help?

You should:

1) configure, compile and install a new kernel (2.6.X).
2) upgrade your distro to sid.
3) get 'xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk'.
4) edit your XF86Config-4 properly.

I'm writing about the entire process on Albook 17".  At the moment my
docs are available only in spanish. Good luck!

kernel-configuration/compilation/installation:
http://libertonia.escomposlinux.org/story/2004/1/12/143137/349
distro-upgrading and X-server installation and configuration:
http://libertonia.escomposlinux.org/story/2004/1/16/175324/141

Greetings.