Re: Can I Install AND boot a new Kernel on an OldWorld PMac?

On   7 Jan, this message from Brad Boyer echoed through cyberspace:
> [snip] A note of warning, tho. I'm not sure exactly
> what does it, but on my 7600 most of the PRAM and OF settings get
> changed back to what the MacOS wants during the boot process. This
> means you have to reapply patches and fix the settings every time
> you boot the MacOS. I never found a way around it. Even using
> 'bye' in OF didn't prevent the changes.

My experience with OldWorlds told me the same: no matter what you do,
MacOS resets the OF variables on boot.

The only workaround is to have a BootVars script under MacOS that resets
the nvram to what you need for Linux. However, I believe that BootVars
has a size limitation of about 256 bytes per variable, which prevents it
from applying the nvramrc patch (which is much longer than that).

I once had somebody compile a changed version of BootVars for me, but
didn't get around to testing it (and probably lost it by now).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |