Re: radeonfb never redraws screen on wake

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:16:28AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 06:46, David Kimdon wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:24:17AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > Ok, so what's up with sleep now ? Can you send me a dmesg output from
> > > after wakeup ? (ssh into the box remotely for example)
>
> Hrm... traces look fine. Can you tell me more about the
> symptoms you are having ? If you don't load X at all, stay
> in console, then sleep & wakeup. What do you ontain on screen
> (precisely). If it's blank, is it just the backlight that is
> disabled (by putting the screen on direct light, can you see
> the drawings at all ?) or is it completely off ? What if you
> use the backlight keys to turn the backlight all way down to
> zero, then back up ?

okay, here is some more info.

FWIW, the backlight keys (f1, f2) do not change the state of the
backlight, ever.  I am running pbbuttonsd.  Instead of seeing the
display change I see on the console:

keyboard: unknown scancode e0 4c
keyboard: unknown scancode e0 54

for first dim, and then bright.  We have seen this problem before:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/debian-powerpc-200308/msg00414.html

Installing ikeysd doesn't help.  At some point I will try invoking the
backlight ioctl manually, it isn't a permission problem (even root
gets the messages, and I believe the command simply isn't making it to
pbbuttonsd.  I tried changing the key numbers in pbbuttonsd.conf to 84
(0x54), same message.

All this info is using the 2.6 kernel, though I don't believe the 2.4
behaves any differently.

At console, X has not been started since the machine booted.

I close the lid.  The computer becomes quiet, but the backlight does
not turn off (the apple on the back of the lid is still lit).  The dot
on the front to the left of the latch pulses slowly, indicating the
computer is indeed asleep.  When it goes to sleep the ethernet link
goes down (tested with a cross-over to another machine, the other
machine detects the link down).

I open the lid.  The screen is white and blotchy, pastel colors.
After a fraction of a second the
screen changes, is no longer white and blotchy.  If this is the first
time I have done a sleep/wake cycle since the machine booted I see
some console messages in the upper left-hand corner.  It looks like
they are distorted versions of:

hda: start_power_step(step: 1000)
ide_pmac: Set UDMA timing for mode 2, reg: 0x1090038c
hda: Enabling Ultra DMA 2
hda: completing PM request, resume
hdb: Wakeup request inited, waiting for !BSY...
hdb: start_power_step(step: 1000)
ide_pmac: Set UDMA timing for mode 2, reg: 0x1090038c

It is about that many lines, and I think it is those lines, but the
characters are small and distorted, so it is hard to tell.

If this isn't the first time I have done sleep/wake since boot then
the screen has some thin blue vertical lines on the left during this
instant.  Sometimes there are white lines with the blue lines.  I have
seen these lines, or lines like them before when the machines is
waking properly, so I don't think they are a problem.

Next the screen clears, this is within a second or so if it waking up.
The backlight is still on.  The ethernet link comes up properly on
wake.  The keyboard works, all appears to be functioning, except the
screen stays blank.  I can switch to X and do a few things even though
I can't see the screen.  I can switch back to console, still nothing
on the display.  If I look at the display from above it looks white,
it I look at it straight on it looks black.  Even with ample ambient
light I see no features on the display.

Sleeping from X:

Symptoms are the same.  I tried to see a difference, but even those
funny console messages described above are visible on the first
sleep/wake since boot.

> Then, with XFree loaded (using UseFBDev or not ?

Under X I am using the framebuffer.  My XF86Config-4 has been put in:

http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/radeon/2.6/

if it helps.

> Does XFree
> use APM properly ?)