Re: 12" G4 iBook

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 19:50, William R Sowerbutts wrote:

> Is anyone using Debian on this hardware? I suspect the problem areas would be:
>
>  - Sleeping and successfully waking the machine
>  - XFree86 acceleration for the Radeon 9200

The latter shouldn't care much about 9200 vs. 9000; the same may even be
true for the former (any idea, Ben?).

> Out of interest, how would the 800MHz G4 perform against my current iBook's
> 700MHz G3? I'm not really interested in floating point performance. The G3 has
> a shorter pipeline, twice the L2 cache but the core clock is 100MHz slower and
> the FSB is only 100MHz vs 133MHz on the G4.

Hard to say, I guess either could be faster depending on what you do,
but of course the G4 will wipe the floor with the G3 for anything that
can use Altivec.

Software libre enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer