Re: gnome still not working properly on powerpc/testing

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:29:42PM +1100, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run Gnome 2.2 on a PowerBook 17" running Debian Testing.
> It runs really slow and the panel never shows.  The only way I can get X
> running is to start up an xterm and then run sawfish manually.  I've
> tried running "gnome-session -failsafe" mannually and it is so slow.
> The splash screen takes a long time though recently it seems to be
> faster.  Then it takes a long while for the icons in the splash screen
> to be displayed.  Finally sawfish fires up and that is it.  But I don't
> have the panel and the sawfish menus don't allow me to fire up apps, not
> even an xterm.  HELP!!!
>
> I've tried the following lines in my .xsession.
> #/usr/bin/X11/xhost &
> #/usr/bin/X11/xterm &
> #/usr/bin/gnome-session -failsafe
>
> I can't get it working.  Could someone who has gnome 2.2 from testing
> working on a powermac please send me a copy of their .xsession and a
> list of installed gnome packages (eg. dpkg -l "gnome*").
>
> Maybe I should try to install gnome 2.4 from unstable but I don't really
> want to do that yet.

I had the same problems when I upgraded my testing system recently. It
was unusable. I tried upgrading the gnome components to unstable, and
that didn't help. This really wrecked gnome on my machine, I have yet
to get it right again.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People