Re: Help - no dual boot after upgrading OS X

Thanks Javier.. .I downloaded the iso image but it turns out that my disk copy
software has disappeared mysteriously.. I wonder if Panther had something to do
with it since I don't remember deleting it.. and it should install by default
when OS X is installed/upgraded.. but it wasn't.. luckily I have Roxio toast so
I'm burning it now.. will send an update once the whole process is done..
thanks a lot!

nirmal

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:06:49 +1100, "J. Javier Maestro" wrote:

> Hi Nirmal,
>
> The other day I was playing around with a binary that needed some
> version of ld-XXX.so, and I deleted the symbolic link to it, rendering
> my system unuseable (heh, my stupidity is sooo great 8-)
>
> Anyways, I booted in MacOSX, downloaded the first Debian CD, and burnt
> it with no problems using the nifty tool... what is it called? Mmmm,
> Disk Burn or something... anyways, it comes default in MacOSX. The OS
> recognizes the file as an ISO image, and asks you to mount it (loop
> mount) or to burn it. Just put a blank CD in the burner, and say burn,
> it should be done in 10-15 min.
>
> Then, reboot, and remember to hold the keys for CDRom boot (Alt+Apple+C
> is I recall correctly, people correct me if I'm wrong), since you said
> you have no bootloader, thus, no menu will come up with the CD option...
>
> When booting, go through the normal Debian Installation, selecting
> keyboard language, and when all the actions menu comes up, you can
> change into a root terminal on F2.
>
> There, you have to mount the / partition. I recommend you to do it under
> /target (at this point of the "installation process", nothing should be
> mounted in that dir, check it just in case):
>
> 	mount /dev/hdaX /target
>
> Hopefully, you will be able to run ybin and fix it there.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> J. Javier Maestro
> <jjmaestro@computer.org>
> http://rigel.homelinux.com
>

> On Nov Tue 11 2003 04:33, Nirmal Govind wrote:
> > Hi.. I just upgraded to OS X.3 and looks like the installer wiped the boot
> > loader... so I don't get the dual boot option anymore.. I don't have the
debian
> > install cd with me either.. is there any way of booting into the linux
> > partition so that I can rerun ybin and setup yaboot again without the CD?
I'm