pppconfig is not enough?

hi all, so after following advices of some of you here on this list, i finally got debian installed on my tibook500 :) o got it to boot after d/l base sys. now im trying to continue downloading ben's kernel since the machine got set on 2.4.18-newpmac. for this i've been trying to configure ppp i used pppconfig and when i run Pon to connect, i get through plog the following lines:

chat[316]: CONNECT
chat[316]: -- got it
chat[316]: send (/d)
chat[316]: expect (alejo)
chat[316]: 57600*M
chat[316]: *M
chat[316]: welcome to 3com
chat[316]: network
chat[316]: *M
chat[316]: alarm
chat[316]: failed
chat[316]:connect
chat[316]: script failed
chat[316]: exit

seems my modem is being detected and used but theres something wrong with the script..can someone send me an example on how the script shall look like? how can i be sure wheter is PAP or CHAP what i shall configure? im sure my provider uses DHCP, i have added the usepeerdns line to /etc/ppp/peers/provider file but i might be missing something else..any help appreciated/

thnkx,

ps: i have read tldp.org ppp-HOWTO but its related to kppp [i dont have yet KDE], Wvdial, RP3 and linuxconf....since im on ppc it seems base sys doesnt include any of the above..

ps2:i read somewhere that one has to set eth0 down, but that doesnt work on my machine...