Re: Power Management for PowerBook 17

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 14:03, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> Could someone tell me if the new powerbook series (17 inch) still use
> pmud for it's power mangement ??

pmud has nothing to do with what machine you are using. It's mostly
monitoring the lid state and eventually asks the kernel to put the
machine to sleep...

Wether sleep is supported or not is a feature of the kernel.

Right now, none of the "albooks" can sleep in linux. There is no hope
with the nVidia based ones, at least not for a long time, though I may
"workaround" this by implementing suspend-to-disk. There is hope for
the ATI based ones as ATI so far has always been helpful, but it will
take some time too. The problem, as you have guessed, is to be able to
get the video chip out of sleep state, which means on those machine,
basically, to re-initialize it from scratch.

Ben