Re: Install without HFS drive?

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 05:08:59AM +0000, Ryan Curtis Weal wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I've started a second linux partition on my system and I would like to
> make it into an alternate boot partition.  I do not know how to
> copy /dev files (among others) to mirror the file system. I imagine that
> would also have problems because /usr/bin files would not be around for
> startup scripts. So...
>
> I would like to do a new Woody installation on this new partition with
> it's own feature set.
>
> However, I installed from an HFS-compatible booter, and it appears my HFS
> booter will not work on an ext2 volume.
>
> Is there a Debian booter/install script that will run on an ext2 drive
> for PowerPC systems?  Can I use the same swap space?  Any other
> suggestions?

You don't say which kind of PowerPC you have, oldworld or newworld.
ext2 is a type of file system, not a type of drive; file systems are
installed partition-by-partition. There is a detailed explanation of
how to install Debian from another Linux system in the install manual;
it is easier than you anticipate:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System