Re: Installation of debian on G5 pmac?

On Oct Mon 06 2003 16:39, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > Woody's yaboot is not new enough to work on G4s and G5s.  You need the
> > newest yaboot from penguinppc.org. In fact, I'm not sure it's been
> > tested with G5s yet.
> >
> > According to Nick Lopez in a post on this list less than a week ago
> > (didn't you already search the archives?), the kernel "hasn't survived
> > contact witha G5 yet". Also, the powerpc kernel developer BenH hasn't
> > gotten access to a G5 yet, so it's unlikely to work until he does.
>
> Not exact ;)
>
> I had access to a g5 for a short while. My current bk 2.4.23-pre, when
> compiled for POWER4 with g5_defconfig will happily boot a G5 ;) Though
> it will have some drawbacks:
>
>  - No fan control: all fans ramp up to full speed (_very_ noisy)
> after a couple of minutes
>  - No cpufreq control, CPU boots at low speed (1.3Ghz iirc)
>  - No SMP, only one CPU is booted
>  - No sound
>
> I will probably not have another G5 until at least 2 or 3 weeks from now
> at which point I'll be for a few years an Australian guest citizen :)
>
> My ability to continue working on the G5 kernel should be preserved despite
> beeing an IBM employee, though I yet to have written confirmation of this.

Wow! Are you coming to AU?? :-)  A pity that I will be having exams and
will leave AU in December back to Spain! Would like to get a picture
with the maintainer of the most-useable ppc kernel branch ;-)

Are you going to work in Sydney's IBM building? If so, lucky you! When I
saw it, I felt like (hoooopefully :-) coming back in some years as an
IBM employee in their Linux branch 8-)

OK.. I'll stop dreaming ;-)

--
J. Javier Maestro