Re: New per subarch 2.4.22 powerpc kernels, please test.

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 02:26:43PM +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> El sáb, 04-10-2003 a las 13:31, Sven Luther escribió:
> > Hello,
> >

> Hi
>
> > I am searching for testers for the new 2.4.22-2 serie of kernel packages
> > before uploading them to the archive, and potentially breaking lot of
> > stuff.
> >
> > They can be found at :
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~luther/powerpc/2.4.22
>

> I have a question about those kernels. Are they something like x86 ones
> where you have all possible drivers as modules (ide, for example) and
> then an initrd image so you will have a really small kernel with lots of
> modules?

Nope, they are a small kernel and modules which goes installed
in their right place, like the output of the make-kpkg kernel-images
mostly. I don't think what you like is possible, since there is a limit
on the size of the initrd for powerpc (3.3M or something such i think),
and anyway, i don't see much what you gain by it.

> That option is one thing I'm missing from x86 kernel images on powerpc.
>
> Also, a package like kernel-build-* will be really useful to compile
> modules if you have a prepackaged kernel like yours.

Mmm, effectively, that would be usefull, i was not aware that something
such existed, i will be looking into it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther