Re: Kernel build, auto-off

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:58:27AM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:20:55PM -0400, David M. Cooke wrote:
> > Are you also using pbbuttonsd? By default, it replaces pmud in handling
> > power (I thought this was rather high-handed when I found out; why else
> > would I be running pmud?!!). Check /etc/pbbuttonsd.conf (IIRC), and look
> > for a something pmud option. (Don't have my laptop handy so I can't
> > check.)
> replace_pmud            = [yes/no]
> I wonder why this is on by default at all, is anybody here using this?
>  -- Guido

See bug  #208209 pbbuttonsd: replace_pmud considered harmful
at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=208209

I got a nice reply from the pbbuttons author but nothing from the package
maintainer.
It seems that pbbuttonsd and pmud could merge in the future. My
understanding is that some features provided by pmud are not yet
provided by pbbuttonsd and that the way you attach a script to an event
is different.
Anyway the real problem is that replace_pmud is set to ON by default
on systems where pmud is installed and believed to do the job
and that doesn't really make sense.

Christophe

Cats seem go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for
what you want. --Joseph Wood Krutch