Re: Debian on new 15" AlBooks?

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 09:26, Sven Luther wrote:

> Well, DRI won't work on the Radeon mobility 9600 included in this one. I
> think we should start a petition or other such to ask ATI about either :
>
>   - providing docs for the DRI project to have someone start working on
>   the R300 core (even if it is only later, when R400 or something is
>   released.

What good are docs when there's nobody to work on it? I believe that if
there was a serious effort to produce working drivers (like for the R200
core, when The Weather Channel hired Tungsten Graphics to do it), docs
wouldn't be a problem. A sufficiently large group of willing and
competent volunteers might work as well, but who would that be? I think
the key is that ATI needs confidence that providing the docs actually
yields a working result.

> or
>
>   - make a powerpc build of their proprietary drivers.

As a minority of a minority, I'm not sure we have the market force to
make such demands.

>     Hoping that they are endian clean, and not too messy.

Which I tend to doubt.