Re: 2.4.22-ben2 : backlight (F1/F2) not working on console, little freeze

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:27:22PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > On 2003-09-10 17:52:22 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > But it still does not work for you ?
> >
> > Well, I have not tried since my last report. I'm still using
> > 2.4.18-newpmac, which works correctly (except that sometimes,
> > a key release is not detected, if this is a kernel bug). BTW,
> > what would I gain if I upgraded to a newer kernel?
>
> Well, i suppose 1 year or so of development, and the closure of some
> security related bugs. That said, the real problem is not there, but i
> want this fixed before sarge is released, so that when you upgrade to
> sarge, you are not faced with this problems, nor are other users.

The warning messages can be fixed by commenting out the warning proper, or
adding fake Linux keycodes for the few buttons that don't have a keycode
(I used 254 for a keycode), or adding a test to ensure the button
scancodes are not translated and sent on to the input layer ever. I can
send a patch implementing the second method. The third method might better
be implemented in adbhid.c:adbhid_buttons_input() rather than in the input
code (the code to report these button events to the input layer was only
added in adbhid.c and wasn't present in mac_keyb.c BTW. What was the
rationale behind this? Are you planning to move the backlight control to
user space?).

The non-functional backlight control is something I'd like to have
confirmed by other TiBook users - just ignore the console messages and
press the backlight control multiple times until the backlight turns off,
please. If it doesn't turn off after 15 key presses, something's broken
indeed.

	Michael