Re: swiss german keyboard config needed (xev results)

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 11:17, Emmanuel Eckard wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 August 2003 11:07, David M. Cooke wrote:
> > >
> > > I proposed earlier what I've been using for a while:
> > >
> > >     108         0xff7e (Mode_switch)    0xff20 (Multi_key)
> > >
> > > Or does anybody _really_ need that stupid enter key? :)
>
> I use it as ALTGR key. Applying this on top of the KDE international
> keyboard makes a very usable system.

There's a bit of confusion between the Xkb Mode_switch and Multi_key keysyms.

The Mode_switch keysym is normally given when pressing the key labeled AltGr
on continental European keyboards. This keysym allows the third character on
a key to be generated. (And the fourth when using Shift as well, I believe.)

The Multi_key keysym was the symbol given when pressing the key labeled
Compose on old Sun keyboards. For Debian with PC keyboards, the right
Windows-logo key is used. The Apple keyboards use the right Apple-logo key.
This keysym is used to generate "fancy" characters, like 'ç' by pressing
Multi_key+comma then pressing 'c' or 'û' by pressing Multi_key+Shift+6, then
pressing 'u'.

The problem is that Mode_switch and Multi_key can't be assigned to the same
keycode or keysym with only a level-shift to separate them. The third- and
fourth-levels are useless because Mode_switch must be pressed before they can
be used (and that's what we're trying to assign). But even Shift can't be
used because of the 'û' exampe above:  Mode_shift+Shift = Mutli_key, but
Multi_key needs shift to get to the circumflex above the 6-key.

On a full-size Apple keyboard, this is no problem because there are two,
totally distinct Alt and Apple-logo keys, but not on the laptops. Are we
going to have to lose the Apple-logo key to one of these and use fn+logo for
Super? Other ideas?

Frank