Re: Finnish X11 keymap on iMac?

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Frank Murphy wrote:

> > > OK, I need you to annotate these files. Write in the codes that you get
> > > depending on which key you press. Otherwise, it's just guesswork for us.
> >
> > It's as much guesswork for me.  I press them in the order:  normal, shift,
> > altgr.  first lesser/greater/pipe, then paragraph/half/degree.
>
> Well, you knew the order in which you pressed the keys, I didn't. Try it
> again, but this time, only press the <>| (no Shift or Alt) and record the
> output (should be a pressed/released pair). Then do the same for §½¶. Then
> send the results here labeled with what keys you pressed.

Getting those glyphs _require_ usage of shit and altgr,as they are on the same
key!

> > > Perhaps it works well for you, but it is very confusing for someone who
> > > sits at a new keyboard and looks at the keys to find out what they should
> > > do.
> >
> > It works well, from the perspective that it provides nearly the same
> > physical kjeycaps location as a PC, that is the key just left of spacebar
> > is used to change console, in conjunction with ctrl.  it makes a LOT of
> > sense.
>
> It does make a lot of sense if the desired behavior is to mimic the physical
> key location of a PC keyboard. But it is at the expense of matching the
> printed keys.
> I think that it would be a good option to have the behavior you expect,
> though.

It is the default behavior of the console-data map.

> > > OK, so to switch the left Alt key to act like a PC's AltGr key (and let
> > > you type the third letters on the keys), plus use the left Apple logo key
> > > as an Alt key, put the following in your .Xmodmap and run `xmodmap
> > > ~/.Xmodmap`:
> > >
> > > keycode 64 = Mode_switch
> > > keycode 115 = Alt_L
>
> Did you try this xmodmap? What was the result?

It seems to work, but does not offer a lasting solution. Running xmodmap at
every login is not exactly practical.

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/