Re: Help with X using ATI pci card?

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 10:16:01PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> Yes, I have an Xclaim3D with 3D RAGE II+. Works fine with atyfb (I originally
> wrote atyfb for that card ;-). I still use XFree86 3.x BTW.
>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
> 						Geert

Cool!  You wrote atyfb to work for that card.  I
guess you would be the man to talk to them about
this NexusGA card.  It's definitely a Nexus GA card
and Open Firmware recognizes it as model "ATY,GT-C".

 I've come to the conclusion that
there is something fundamentally wrong with either
this driver or the way this card is recognized
by the kernel or some combination of both.  Maybe it
has something to do with the pci mappings, which I
have read are a bit funny when it comes to controlfb.

More proof of my conclusion comes from a 1998 thread on
linux-ppc mailing list that describes exactly the
same problem.  The poster there had exactly the same
hardware I'm working with, including the PowerMac
7500's control built video-card.  You, Geert, were one
of the participants in that thread, which died
without a resolution.

In any case, I just thought I update everyone about
the status of this card, so that they don't waste
their time trying to get it to work.  I would devote
my programming resources to it, my C skills, but I
wouldn't even know where to begin, because I've
never writen a linux driver or debugged a kernel.  If
you have any suggestions about were I should poke
around in atyfb source code (or who I should contact
about it), I would be happy to give it a shot, and
contribute to linux.

Thanks for your help.

--
wcrowshaw