Re: Finnish X11 keymap on iMac?

> > By Mac keyboard, you seem to mean USB keyboard.
>
> No, I mean Mac keyboard, as in keycaps layout.
>
> > The keys of the third-party keyboards are in the standard PC position,
> > right?
>
> They are in the Mac position, since they are meant as replacements for the
> narrow iMac keyboard by Apple.

So, the <>| is between Z and left shift and the §½¶ is left of the 1 on all
three keyboards, but on the third-party keyboards, pressing §½¶ generates the
symbol from the <>| key (and vice-versa)?

> > But, if the only problem with this keyboard is the meta-key problem you
> > explained earlier, the simple xmodmap change below should fix it (without
> > disabling deadkeys, of course).
>
> Inverted (smaller/greater/pipe) and (paragraph/one-half/degree), plus wrong
> metakeys.

Is this after you tried the xmodmap? Or before?

> In essence, the Option/apple keys are treated as a Windows keys,
> even though the physical position is different than on PC.

Ah-ha. You are seeing the expected behavior. The key printed with the Apple
logo is considered to be the same as the key printed with the Windows logo,
regardless of position. You can change this if you want, but it's the
default.

> > I'd be interested to know what the linux scancodes and X keycodes are for
> > these keys on i386 Linux. Are you able to try these on a PC? If so, try
> > these commands on both:
> >
> > # from the console, then press the <>| and §½¶ keys
> > $ showkey -s
> > $ showkey -k
>
> See attached files.

OK, I need you to annotate these files. Write in the codes that you get
depending on which key you press. Otherwise, it's just guesswork for us.

> > # Also, in X, press these keys with the keyboard in the xev window
> > $ xev
>
> Haven't found any way to paste the output. :(

In X, you can paste the selected text by pressing the middle mouse button. If
you only have a 2-button mouse, it's possible to mimic a three-button mouse.
Say 'yes' to the 'Emulate 3 button mouse?' question when running
`dpg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86`

> The console-data mac-usb-fi keymap uses the Left_alt as Mode_switch and
> makes the left Apple key into a Left_alt, which works very well.

Perhaps it works well for you, but it is very confusing for someone who sits
at a new keyboard and looks at the keys to find out what they should do.

OK, so to switch the left Alt key to act like a PC's AltGr key (and let you
type the third letters on the keys), plus use the left Apple logo key as an
Alt key, put the following in your .Xmodmap and run `xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap`:

keycode 64 = Mode_switch
keycode 115 = Alt_L

Frank