Re: swiss german keyboard config needed

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 17:43, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > > Don't you think it would be the best to produce the same characters with
> > > the same key combinations as in OS X by default (eg. for swiss keyboards
> > > that ALT-G = @, ALT-8 = {, ALT-6 = ],...) ?
> >
> > What about apps which use these combos for something else? I agree that
> > <something>-G should yield @, etc. by default, but I'm not sure that
> > something can be alt
>
> Ah, right. Because Mac OS only uses the Alt key to generate 'odd' characters,
> but we use it for more. It sucks that Apple wired the iBooks so that the
> Alt_R key is a pain to get to. The Enter key on my iBook is in a good place
> (between the spacebar and right alt key)...

Indeed. Unless anybody is attached to using this key as enter, what
about an XkbVariant "laptop" which maps Mode_switch and Multi_key to
this key, Delete to Shift+Backspace, ... ? From my reading of the
nodeadkeys variant definition in /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86, this might
be possible to do in one go for all layouts.