Re: PCI hardware

You should be able to use the network card just fine in your 7600.  The
only PCI cards that are cross-platform compatible are those that are
needed for booting, such as video cards and hard drive controllers. The
PCI specs are platform independent, so once you have the drivers for a
given card for a give OS, you should be able to plug the card into any
machine with a PCI slot.  That was the whole point of PCI, after all ...

With the newer, faster flavours of PCI (PCI-X, etc) there might be some
incompatibilities.  I've already heard rumblings about the new Apple G5
machines only being able to use 3.3V "PCI" cards. But they run on a new
flavour of PCI, and won't be able to use the older (5V) PCI cards.

The old ixMicro TV cards worked in both PCs and Macs, and I am using a
1394 PCI card right now in my 8500 that is usable in both x86 and PPC
machines.  I suspect that once you find the right driver, your RealTek
card should work just fine in your 7600.

cheers

--

To get my real e-mail address, replace "4" with "for" in the above address

Vinai

"I can't understand people who hate other people based on things like race,
 religion, or sexual orientation.  When you really do get to know a person,
 aren't there so many more worthwhile reasons for despising them ?"

                                        Dennis Miller