Re: swiss german keyboard config needed

> Aha, I see. But, hmm, this doesn't seem to be a laptop specific problem,
> no? I have to be honest, I don't understand the Mode_switch problem
> anyway. When using the stock settings, i.e.
>
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "de_CH"
>
> there's no Mode_switch at all. Not surprisingly, XkbRules xfree86
> defaults to xfree86 for the keycodes (which maps keycode 64 to LALT),
> and uses macintosh(macintosh) as default geometry.

But it seems that for Swiss keyboards, Mode_switch should be set (even for
desktop keyboards). That is done in the symbols files. Does adding this help:

Option  "XkbSymbols"       "de_CH+group(switch)"

> I wonder if there's really a need for a laptop variant. What is the
> difference between a normal and a laptop keyboard apart from the lacking
> keypad? Are there any keys on a laptop keyboard not included on a normal
> keyboard (except the fn key)??

At least on my old US keyboard iBook, the Numlock key isn't a real key, but
instead triggers some hardware change to type only the numbers on the
secondary keypad. Therefore, the "real" Numlock key (on the keypad) shouldn't
set Numlock, but some kind of 'clear' instead. I don't know if there are
differences for a Swiss keyboard.

Frank