Re: Powerbook G4 getting very hot. Solution?

On 09/08/2003 at 11:15, Pander wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a debian powerpc package available for cpudyn?

Hi, it is going to be packaged into debian soon. By now I only know
an unofficial source for i386 (not for ppc).

> According to cpudyn's site, it also controlles the speed dynamically
> when it is not using the battery. Is this unwanted according to you and
> should it be full speed whenever it is not using the battery? Is this
> configurable? Or is this not an issue and you don't notice any difference.

It behaves the same way while in battery or plugged. This suits my needs
as the switch between powersave and performance is unnoticeable for me.

_And_, beeing all time in performance mode would increase a bit the
laptop temperature, which is not desirable this days in this latitudes
;-).

IIRC, you can change the behaviour sending signals SIGUSRsomething to
the process to force it to remain in a particular state.

You could hack /etc/power/pwrctl-local (to send those signals when
plugging/unplugging the cable. As I said before, I didn't bother to do
it as I don't need it (and I also don't want it).

Best regards.

--
Kiko