RE: Installing Debian on a Powermac G4, first time

> Hi Bryan,
>
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Bryan Schwerer wrote:
>

> > Newbie warning.  I am a complete moron.
>
> I am new to Debian, too ...
>
> I have a Powerbook G4, but I *think* (I'm not sure of it) as
> to the install
> process the differences aren't perhaps that big.

Sorry, I didn't include enough information.  It is a Power Mac G4
12.  When I boot the kernel on the install disk, it does not
recognize my hard drive because it is an ATA100 and the kernel does not
support that.  Orion's kernel has been built with the proper driver, (but
apparently the wrong flavor of kernel???)

> For the install I kept to this:
> Keep it simple.
>
> I simply downloaded the first 2 powerpc images somewhere from
> an Debian mirror
> or so, burnt them to CD's and booted the first CD to start
> the installation (at
> boot time I held down the 'c' key and typed 'install24'
> (please have a look at
> the boot menu to realize the correct command) to install the
> a 2.4 kernel)), if
> I recall it correctly. The 'c' key is, if I recall it
> correctly, the usual key
> to boot a Powerbook G4 from a CD ... the key may be different
> on your machine.
>
> With all due respect to this page:
> http://valla.uchicago.edu/ppc/pbg412.html
> but it could be *perhaps* slightly outdated information ...
> don't know ....
>

> > I too am trying to install Debian Linux on a Powermac G4.
> I have been
> > following the instructions detailed here
> >
> > http://valla.uchicago.edu/ppc/pbg412.html
> >
> > and of course here
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook/
>
> this previous page helped me a lot for partitioning my disk ..
>

> > I can get the system boot, find my harddrive,  and install to the
> > point of Configuring the Driver Modules, where I encounter an error
> > saying "No modules were found in
> /target/lib/modules/2.4.20-ben5 that
> > could be configured,... blah blah blah"
>
> Did you try to mix the 2.4.20 benh kernel with the modules
> for a 2.4.18 Kernel?
> If yes: I could well imagine the install could have a problem
> with this ...
>

> > Well there is a good reason for this because the kernel
> install pulls
> > from
> >
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerp
c/current/new-
> powermac/
>
> which does, in fact, contain 2.4.18 modules, instead of 2.4.20.

>Seems this is what I mean ...

>If you burn yourself a Debian CD: I burned my Debian CD on Mac OS X, and if
>recall correctly: I had chosen a MS-DOS file system for the CD, that I used
for
>the install on the Powerbook.

>After the install I tried to upgrade my system to newer stuff ... but only
>*after* the completion of the installation, IIRC ...

Yes, I pretty much understand what you mean.  The first page I mentioned was

intented to help out people in my situation (ATA 100) and from what I can
tell,
a few people on the list have had success with this, although I don't
understand
how following the directions as given, so I must be missing something
whether
through my own ignorance or outdated information.

>Good luck.

>Best Regards,
>Wolfgang

Thanks