Re: sound issues--installing modules

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:10:40 -0700, g c wrote:

> I have a g3 powerbook (firewire pismo).

	Hello, I've a FireWire iBook that should be around the same
generation, but isn't probably the same underlying hardware.

> as I think I should. Using XMMS I can play a wav file from hard drive and I
> can play tracks from audio cd. I also want to get audacity, freeamp and dvd
> players to play sound also. I have dmasound_pmac as a module so I must first
> modprobe dmasound_pmac which loads dmasound_pmac, dmasound_core and
> i2c-core.

	If you use modconf it will be installed there once and for
all, no need to keep loading stuff.

> Q1: Since the sound cards input is digital how do I use what modules to get
> the data to the sound card? ALSA or dmasound_pmac or OSS? Since OSS does not
> do digital input (?) do I use it with dmasound_pmac? Or not use OSS sound
> (sound.o ?) module at all?

	I never braved ALSA, and understand OSS is obsolescent or
nearly so.  DMA sound has been working find.

> The alias references have no meaning to me so I dont know how to associate
> one to the other. Char-major, sound-slot and sound-service have several
> different numbers after them to chose from and I dont know which numbers to
> use or which ones to associate with sound-core, dmasound_pmac, i2c-core or
> i2c-keywest.

	This should be taken care of by modconf.

> I read where someone associated /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer with a sound module.
> Q3: When, why and how should I alias a /dev/? to a sound module?

	Again, modconf.

--
 _   Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34
/ \  http://br.geocities.com./lgcdutra/         +41 (78) 778 11 34