Re: Starting X in Debian on a Performa 6360

Em Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:08:43 +0200, Michel Dänzer escreveu:

> On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 02:48, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
> wrote:
>> Em Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:29:00 -0700, Steven escreveu:
>>
>> 	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, ironic as it may seem in a PowerPC.
>
> Why would it? 'XFree86' is a pun on 'X386', to point out that it's not
> limited to a single platform.

	AFAIRI, it wasn't a pun originally, but a description.  I still remember
version 3 or so times where it was described as an X RI implementation for
x86 systems.  The ports for other platforms came later, along with NetBSD
and GNU ports.  Some RISC users even prefer to say XFree simply in the
hope that it will bring the RISC ports to full citizenship; as it is now,
XFree is released when the x86 port is ready, and the others have to wait
for Debian and NetBSD to test them before they are done.

	Situation should get better with POP on one hand, ARM on the other
gaining popularity, and x86-64 fighting side-to-side with IPF to destroy
x86 dominance.  But we are still second-class citizen in the GNU/Linux
world.

> The original poster needs the fbdev driver BTW, which shouldn't have
> been hard to find out...

	Thanks!

--
 _
/ \  Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34