Re: How do I move a disk from one 7xxx to another and related matters?

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Chris Tillman wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 07:52:01AM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> > This is my last MacOS disk. It has no Linux on it. I suspect that if I
> > run the Make Hard Disk Bootable menu item that will be the end of MacOS.
>
> No, writing the boot block does not kill MacOS. You just have to type
> bye from OF to get back to MacOS, because all these Macs were ROM-based.

'cept OF doesn't listen to me;-(

Anyway, MacOS is now exterminated.

> (Of course, if there is no MacOS on the disk, it will have nothing to
> boot into -- but anyway writing the boot block is harmless in itself.)
>
> > I think I'll initialise this disk and see what happens.
>
> Hope it works better.

The disk is booting, I'm educated and there are ducks swimming in my backyard;-))

> > NetBSD is supposed to boot, but I have the CD and can't boot it. Neither
> > does it appear to try to boot off the LAN when I hold done "n" as
> > described at
> > http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.macppc.html
>
> That is only for NewWorlds AFAIK.

It talks about  Open Firmware 1.0.5, and that's what I have:
The syntax used for netbooting varies depending on Open Firmware
version. In Open Firmware 1.0.5, 1.1.22, 2.0.x, and 2.4 you will need to
type one of:

0 > boot enet:,ofwboot.xcf
0 > boot enet:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.ram.gz   #to specify a kernel other than "netbsd"
0 > boot enet:192.168.1.5,ofwboot.xcf netbsd  #if having trouble getting all info from bootpd

I'll have to try that on my 7500: it talks to the screen on that system.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only
from Debian addresses.