Re: ibook ethernet cable comes loose

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 05:02, Tom Vier wrote:
> i recently got this blueberry ibook off of ebay. every cable i've tried
> (which work fine w/ every other nic i have) disconnects if it's not pushed
> completely in. if it's pull on just a little bit, it disconnects, even
> though the bend tab is still holding the connector in. in other words,
> there's too much play inside the ibook's jack. has anyone else had this
> problem? if so, were you able to fix it?

I've seen this problem on a friend's machine. He didn't really look
after it well, and screwed up the connector. You might need to take it
to a Apple store and see what they can do for you.

> it's very annoying when i'm using it in my lap and it disconnects every time
> i move. also the sun gem driver complains everytime it does and keeps
> spitting out warnings, filling syslog, until it's reconnected (i may not
> notice for a while, it i'm in x).

If you really want, you can just comment out this bit of code in
sungem.c, and recompile the kernel. I did this initially, but it is
there for a reason.

\LaShI

--
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Sid) (ibook2,powerpc), kernel 2.4.20-ben1-xfs

Grub first, then ideals.
       -- Bertolt Brecht

<lashi@optusnet.com.au>
ICQ: 7181075

pub  1024D/CC1F67BC 2002-06-03 Menaka Lashitha Bandara (Freedom!)
<lashi@lashitha.org>
     Key fingerprint = 1874 5597 C754 5209 0A7D  4DA6 9112 5D0E CC1F
67BC