Re: airport wireless problems

This one time, at band camp, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
>does it work within osx for you ?

I tried it out again, and it did; I decided to try something else.

I started fiddling with the AP settings again, and found out that
APs configured with the "Authentication" option set to "Shared key" do not
work with the airport driver under Linux.  They *do* work with MacOS X in
the same environment.

Reconfiguring the AP to use "Open System" or "Both" style authentication
allow the airport driver to see the AP and connect to it.

This seems to have nothing to do with WEP, although the terminology is
similar -- the WEP configuration on both APs I played with (a Netgear ME102
and a D-Link something 3000+ (I think)) is independent of this
"authentication" option, and without knowing too much about how 802.11
works, making it "open" doesn't seem to degrade the security of the wireless
network.

So, in summary, APs configured with "open authentication" (scare quotes used
as I'm sure the terminology used by the AP documentation is inappropriate)
work well with the airport driver, but "shared key" only does not work.

Thanks to those who took the time to post their own information.  I'm just
glad I've finally worked out what my problem was.

--
jaq@debian.org                               http://people.debian.org/~jaq