Re: kernel compiling problems on iMac CRT

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Sven Luther wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 12:59:13PM +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Sven Luther wrote:
> >
> > > gcc 3.3 is the official sid compiler and gcc 3.2 is the official sarge
> > > compiler, and starting in kernel 2.4.21, gcc 3.3 don't cause major
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > In any case, i would strongly discourage to use gcc 3.0 or 3.1.
> >
> > There's a problem right there:  3.0 has been the only reliable compiler lately.
> > Meanwhile, 3.3 produces broken kernels and 3.2 has already been slated for an
> > early retirement.
>
> Do you have links on this information, or personal experience?

There was a long thread on debian-hppa. After a lot of tests, it turned out that
3.2 and 3.3 could not be used on kernel-source-2.4.19-hppa, even though both are
supposed to be better compilers. It was also revealed that stock kernels for the
debian/hppa port had been built using 3.0 also.

I had similar problems on i386. Things might be different on PPC, but I doubt
it. :)

We'll have to see how things have improved, once 2.4.21 has entered Sid.

> I have been using 3.2 compiled kernels without problems, and so has anyone
> using Dan's kernel-image package, since they were built with 3.2 and 3.3
> since a long time.

Didn't know.  Noted.

> I personnaly bellieve you should use either 2.95 or 3.2/3.3 today.

I'm trying 3.2 now. :)

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/