Re: New Linux Install advice?

Jacob Tennant wrote:
I am looking at installing Linux on my PPC 7200/90 machine with soon to be 64megs of ram, 500MB HD with a cable modem connection. First, is there any reason I should not use this machine? Its the only computer I have other than the family machine (WinXP).

The 7200 had issues. Just for the heck of it once; I installed a cache chip, 2 256MB dimms, a voodoo3 card, a scsi card, and a 100tx network card in one. I think there were power issues causing instability (the builtin power supply is wimpy and wasn't made with all that stuff in mind).

The internal scsi on this machine is 5MB/s. The onboard network chip should be fine for cable modem internet. The graphics will be slow as moses. It has no cache chip and installing one will really help the performance. One other thing is kernel support for the processor. I am not sure if the current kernel is stable on 601 or not.

It should be fine if you want a machine to lynx from if you don't have a lot of money to try to upgrade it with.