Re: AmigaOne or Pegasos for a smallish server?

Sven Luther wrote:

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:37:32PM +0200, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:

I don't expect it to do any graphics: what I want is a free (as in speech), silent, energy-efficient, beautiful server. It will do Samba

Well, a G3 altough somewhat slower than a G4 would be much more energy
efficient, and you don't really need the FPU or Altivec units, which are
the G4 two advantages.
With the new Altivec library from Motorola there might be more application using the Altivec in the future, but for now a G3 is good enough. However, I can build a complete server using a via C3 processor for less than 120 Euro here in Norway (and am in the process of doing so, since I was given one of the JACKCON cpacitor fitted Abit motherboards recently and have started to replace the capacitors :-) ), so I would check out this option as well. Not that I don't like PPC (I've got a bunch of PPC machines), but if a more efficient approach is called for, I would at least _consider_ a C3.

now, X in the future -- therefore upgrading to the dual G4 would be a
plus, I understand this is a possibility only with the Pegasos -- if they
survive long enough?

They will survive, at least the chances are greater for Genesi to
survive than for Amiga. Genesi is making money on other businesses too,
so they have cash incomes, while Amiga has been laying off staff
recently, if i read the rumors correctly. Too bad they both had to fight
themselves like spoiled children instead of working together, but that
has been the history of Amiga since back then.

Except the AmigaOne (as Pegasos supporters _constantly_ go on about) has NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH THE AMIGAONE except licensing out the name. The AmigaOne is a MAI/Eyetech project, with MAI providing the designs and Eyetech providing the distribution and support. Come on. FUD is no better when coming from you than from Rose.

The AmigaOne has G4 modules since LONG ago, and a dual G4 module has been made. But _at the moment_ there's only the single 800MHz G3 and G4 modules available. Since the targetted OS for these machines doesn't do dual-CPU yet (and might not for a long time), the market for a dual G4 just isn't there yet, I think. Even though I would buy one ;-)

I don't know the exact state of the AmigaONE, nor am i really current with
the rumorset involved with it, i heard that amiga throw out lot of
personnel though, so i guess your best guess with regard to it would be
one of the Theron boards by terrasoft or something such, which are just
the same boards as amigaone without the amiga marketing.
	Will look for Swiss distributors, thanks.

As said, try contacting Genesi directly, they are based in France and
Luxemburg, if i am not wrong. http://www.genesi.lu/ would be the right
place for that.

Oh, and Terrasoft are NOT distributing the Teron at this point, so that's a moot point. And as mentioned before, if Amiga Inc goes bust, there's NOTHING that would affect the production of the AmigaOne, except possibly a name change. I will still use it just like I have up to now, and so will a LOT of people.

--
AmigaOne dev list FAQ (when I say F, I mean F):
http://www.samfundet.no/~olegil/amiga/