Re: Is make-kpkg supposed to work on ppc ?

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 03:36:41PM +0200, Ole-Egil Hvitmyren wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >Hello, ...
> >
> >Yesterday, i tried to build a kernel-image ppc/pegasos package with
> >make-kpkg. The built went well, but no package was created and i didn't
> >see any particular message in the log that could explains this, in
> >particular, there was no error. So, is make-kpkg supposed to work on
> >ppc, has someone already used it sucessfully, and how do you tell it
> >which of the different kernel images you want in the package.

I built it again, and it now produced a working kernel-image package,
don't know what happened at first, maybe i was lacking disk-space or
something such ?

> I would try reading the ppc section in /usr/share/kernel-package/rules
>
> Unless I'm very much mistaken the rules for finding the right image for
> an arch is written there :-)
>
> For instance prep:
> ifneq (,$(findstring $(KPKG_SUBARCH),PReP prep))
> KPKG_SUBARCH:=prep
> loader := NoLoader
> kimage := zImage
> target = $(kimage)
> kimagesrc = $(shell if [ -d arch/$(KERNEL_ARCH)/boot/images ]; then \
>        echo arch/$(KERNEL_ARCH)/boot/images/$(kimage).prep ; else \
>        echo arch/$(KERNEL_ARCH)/boot/$(kimage) ; fi)
> kimagedest = $(INT_IMAGE_DESTDIR)/vmlinuz-$(version)
> DEBCONFIG = $(CONFDIR)/config.prep
> endif

Yes, thanks, that is what i was looking for.

> Shouldn't be too difficult figuring out how to change that to acomodate
> a flying horse, eh? ;-)

I guess the standard chrp entry will do, altough quick does not work for
pegasos, i think.

BTW, if i were to make an official kernel package with it, should i
create a whole new package or make a patch against one of the existing
kernel-source packages ? The actual package is a bastard fork from one
year ago or such, so i don't really know from which kernel-source
package i should make a diff.

When i get a modern and propper patch against linuxppc kernels, this
would be another thing though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther