Re: Radeon 9000 If (RV250), Mac G4 (Wintunnel) problems with XFree86

On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 01:19 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 15:22, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 11:52, Simon Urbanek wrote:
2) In all configurations colors are completely wrong
3) closing X blanks all monitors

I have tested following versions of XFree86:
Debian sid "officail" 4.2.1
Michel Daenzer's 4.2.1 DRI build
Debian "inoffical" 4.3.0
latest CVS build (by myself) as of yesterday (4.3.99...)

Ok, CVS is the really interesting one. Michel, did you ever commit
the fix of SURFACE_CNTL ? That should fix the colors at least on
the main aperture

It's in, but only handles aperture 0. Can someone try
http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/XFree86/radeon-ap1.diff or
http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/XFree86/radeon_drv.o ?
I tried the patch, but without any visible results :(.

I was digging a bit more in the "wrong colors" issue and found out the following: When I'm running the CRT,CRT layout (as opposed to the previous CRT,TMDS) the colors behave differently. In fact is seems like a common endianess-problem: the layout of colors is 0xBBGGRR00 in Mac big-endian notation, but the color on the screen written by the driver are 0x00RRGGBB - that is the colors red and green are swapped and blue is never seen. This is true for both screens.

So the summary (CVS XFree):
* CRT,CRT mode: swapped 'byte-sex' causes wrong colors, otherwise both screens are OK * CRT,TMDS mode: CRT screen is off, TMDS has "split" colors - i.e. the low and high 4 bits of the components are interlaced

I wanted to look at the code, but I can't seem to find any tech info on the Radeon chip - is it available to the "chosen" only after signing a NDA?

Any help, especially with the CRT+TMDS mode is highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Simon

PS: Additional info for Ben: In fact the kernel radeon driver works with the DFP *only* - in CRT,CRT layout the kernel hangs in the early-boot screen (and doesn't go further - no network etc.).