Re: mplayer and rtc _and_ possible kernel bug of enhanced rtc in 2.4.21-rc3?

[skipping some of the replies to this, to get at the real problem]

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 02:31:51AM +0200, Claas Langbehn wrote:

> Hello Vicent!
>
> > Documentation of mplayer says to use the command
> >  echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
> > to allow the use of RTC by mplayer. However, this doesn't work with
> > Apple RTC. Is there some way to achieve the same result ?
>
> Well, I switched CONFIG_RTC on manually in the kernel config.
> Now mplayer works and plays very well. Without this I only had
> black and white output of an movie, now its colored.
>
> But there seems to be a problem with it though: when booting,
> the machine hangs 2 or 3 times. Pressing CTRL-C helps out.
> I have no clue, what it's about. Maybe broken init-scripts?

The problem is that CONFIG_RTC _does_not_work_ on a powermac.
CONFIG_RTC is for PC-style (more or less) RTC chips.  This is one of two
problems here.  If you want a working RTC driver, you must use
CONFIG_GEN_RTC or CONFIG_PPC_RTC (CONFIG_PPC_RTC is gone in 2.5,
replaced with CONFIG_GEN_RTC).

The second problem here is that mplayer assumes that if you have
/dev/rtc, it's the PC-style one and 'echo 1024 >
/proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq' is meaningful.  My guess is that
mplayer makes incorrect assumptions when trying to set this (and use the
RTC_PIE_{ON,OFF} sysctls), and thus there is a bug in mplayer.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/